ADF families are constantly on the move. We know that being posted to a new area can be both an exciting and stressful time for your family. We have put together some tips and information to make the move a bit easier for you.
The ADF have services to alleviate the pressure and subsidies to relieve the financial burden of moving.
You’ll receive a helping hand from:
- the Department of Defence – with a relocation service to move your furniture and personal effects, and help coordinate your transport and temporary accommodation
- Defence Housing Australia – with a range of rental properties available or administration of your rental allowance if you choose to rent through the private sector
- Regional Education Liaison Officers – who are available in each state to support your family’s education needs
- Defence Community Organisation – who can provide practical assistance and support in your posting location.
Tips for a hassle-free move
When you are moving, ensuring the ongoing health and wellbeing of your family is important. Here are some tips to make the transition to a new location a bit easier.
- Ask your family doctor and dentist for your medical and dental records. It’s much easier to obtain these records before you relocate. A record of treatment, illnesses and allergies and prescription medication for each member of the family is valuable information for your new doctor and dentist.
- Consider registering for your own eHealth record for personal control of your health information. The government’s eHealth database allows you and your doctors, hospitals and other health care providers to view your health information online. There are strict privacy measures in place which you manage through a secure portal, so you can be sure that your data is safe.
- Notify all your insurers of your change of address. If you’re part of the Defence Health family, your health insurance premium won’t change if you’re on a nationally priced ADF package – but we still need to be able to contact you.
- In the lead up to your move, discuss your needs with your doctor to make sure you have everything covered. You may need to organise things like repeat scripts, and dental check-ups for the kids.
- Check out the providers in your new area before you move. You can find your nearest dental and optical provider with our provider networks.
Your local Defence Community Organisation (DCO) will be an invaluable resource when you’ve moved. DCO can connect you with your new community and advise you on how to access community organisations, groups and events.
Defence Families of Australia is an advocacy organisation representing the views and concerns of all Defence families. DFA can also provide individual assistance and it maintains a comprehensive website of resources and links to other organisations that may be helpful to you when moving.
If you are moving, and you have any questions about your cover with Defence Health just give us a call on 1800 335 425 – we are always happy to help.